This black beans bulgur and plantain bowl is the perfect vegetarian bowl to keep you energised throughout the day. We also added tomatoes and avocado!
Black Bean Bowl
This hearty black bean bowl has healthy bulgur and deliciously sweet plantains, making it a dish packed with colour, flavour, and protein. You can enjoy this bowl for lunch or for dinner, as it has all the healthy necessities to keep your body strong, without making you sacrifice your love of great food!
Amp Up Your Nutrition!
We decided to go with bulgur instead of rice for this dish because bulgur actually has more health qualities. It is also more common in certain parts of the world where rice may be too scarce. It cooks similar to rice, and it tastes the same.
Some of the differences between bulgur and brown rice include:
- Bulgur has twice as much fiber and more folate than rice
- Bulgur is made from cracked wheat and therefore is not gluten-free
- Bulgur helps with weight loss, gut health, and overall digestion, moreso than starchy rice
Both ingredients are healthy, and you can find them interchangeable for our recipe below. However, it’s important to note that bulgur may add more depth and richness to the overall flavour and colour of the dish.
Making Black Beans, Bulgur, and Plantains Together
This is a great meal and a source of comfort food for those who want a hearty, delicious feast without having to consume extra calories on something like a casserole. Instead, this dish offers plenty of health benefits, offering proteins, vitamins, and fibers to keep your internal systems running clean.
We are all about making healthy choices at Sims Home Kitchen, and we are happy to introduce new combinations of ingredients and flavours to you that will make your soul and your stomach happy.
Have you tried out the recipe below? Let us know! And check in often with Sims Home Kitchen for new exciting meal ideas!
More Black Bean Recipes
Black Beans, Bulgur, and Plantain Bowl
- 1/2 scotch bonnet
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 can of tomatoes
- a splash of vegetable oil
- 1 thinly chopped onion
- 1-2 tbsp of curry powder
- 1-2 tbsp of cumin powder
- a pinch of oregano
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 plantain chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Add 1/2 scotch bonnet, 1 red bell pepper, 1 can of tomatoes and blend until smooth. Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a saucepan, add 1 thinly chopped onion and cook for a few minutes.
- Season with 1-2 tbsp of curry powder, 1-2 tbsp of cumin powder, a pinch of oregano, cayenne pepper to taste, stir and cook on a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Pour in blended tomato mix and bring to a boil. Add 1 can black beans, stir occasionally and season with salt to taste (adjust seasoning if necessary). Leave to cook on a low/medium heat for 10-15 minutes and serve!
- Meanwhile, add 1 cup of bulgur wheat and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel 2 plantain and slice diagonally. Heat a splash of oil in a pan and add the plantain to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side and then place them on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Add bulgur wheat, plantain, avocado, beans and tomatoes to a bowl and serve!