1. Preheat oven at 200C/400F. Combine self-raising gluten-free flour, dry yeast, cane sugar, salt, orange zest, spices in a large bowl.
2. Add the egg, melted coconut oil, and warm milk to the bowl of dry ingredients. Then, start kneading the dough. If it gets too sticky then add a little flour.
3. When the dough is ready, add the sultanas. If they are too dry then pour boiling water over them and leave them to cool for half an hour. Squeeze out any excess water.
4. Create 6-8 small buns from the dough. Place them on a cutting board, cover with cling film and store them in a warm place for an hour and allow the buns to rise.
5. Cut a cross along each bun. Then brush a sweet sugar and water mixture on each bun using a silicone brush.
6. Mix two tbsp of flour and a spoonful of water, then add the mixture to the cross lines on each bun. Put the buns in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
7. Once the buns are ready grease them with a jam and water mixture. This will make them sweeter and give them a glossy finish.
Serve gluten-free hot cross buns with butter, jam or tea.