1. Add 1 can of plum tomatoes, 2 red bell peppers, 1 large onion and 1 scotch bonnet to blender and blend until smooth.
2. Add vegetable oil to cover the base of a large saucepan.
3. Once the oil is hot pour in the blended mixture and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp of thyme, 3 knorr cubes, 2 tsp of curry powder (optional) and a bay leaf.
5. Add 4 tbsp or 1/4 cup of tomato paste (purée) and 1-2 cups of chicken stock. Stir and cook for another 15 minutes.
6. Add the rinsed white rice to the saucepan and stir.
7. Stir the rice and tomato mixture well.
8. Then add 3 cups of water to cover the rice and leave to cook on a low/medium heat for 10-15 minutes
9. You may need to check the rice, add one more cup of water.
10. Turn the rice every 7 minutes to prevent burning. Option to add sliced onions at this stage.
11. The rice should be soft and ready once done. Option to add butter at this stage
12. Serve Jollof rice in a plate and enjoy!
Add side dishes like chicken, beef, coleslaw, plantain and more.