Make the Best Moist Banana Cake ever! It includes ripe bananas, buttermilk and other easy-to-find ingredients to make a delicious fluffy cake. Serve as dessert or afternoon tea.
About this Recipe
When done correctly, banana cake is such a treat! A well-made banana cake is incredibly moist and rich in banana flavor. I love serving banana cake for afternoon tea or a quick breakfast. This recipe also makes a lovely food gift to share with friends and neighbors.
Watch the 1-minute video tutorial below to see how I make the best moist banana cake!
For this recipe, you will need ripe bananas (the riper, the better). So don’t throw out your bananas when they get soft! You will also need buttermilk to give the cake a moist and fluffy texture.
Did you know that Banana cakes are also sometimes called banana loaves? It’s because you bake them in loaf tins.
Why Buttermilk Makes The Best Moist Banana Cake
Buttermilk is the key to the tangy and fluffy texture in this recipe. Buttermilk contains more acid than regular milk. The acid activates the baking soda and baking powder in the cake batter before putting the loaf in the oven. In addition, buttermilk imparts a subtle flavor and a deliciously soft texture.
Your homemade buttermilk is done when it’s thickened up and you can see a few curdled bits.
- Banana: Make sure the bananas are very ripe for this recipe. This helps the bananas to combine properly with the rest of the ingredients.
- Self-raising flour: Sift flour and remove excess lumps and dirt.
- Caster sugar: Sift sugar.
- Buttermilk: Use room-temperature buttermilk to achieve the best consistency. No buttermilk? You can make your buttermilk at home with a few simple ingredients. Combine one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar with one cup of milk or heavy cream. Next, give the ingredients a thorough mix. Finally, let the mixture sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.
- Unsalted butter: The butter should be at room temperature for easy mixing.
- Eggs: Let the eggs come to room temperature before combining them with the other ingredients. This will prevent curdling.
- Baking soda and powder: Make sure the leavening agent has not expired as this will affect the recipe and prevent the cake from rising.
- Vanilla extract: For flavor.
If you are a chocolate lover, add chocolate chips or chunks to the cake batter after combining the wet and dry ingredients.
Get creative with your toppings and add chocolate ganache, whipped cream, caramel or caramelized bananas.
Tips and Tricks
- Dry ingredients: Sift all dry ingredients to remove excess dirt and lumps. This will help to give the cake batter a smooth consistency.
- Room temperature: All of the wet ingredients should be at room temperature for this recipe. Leave them on the kitchen counter and allow them to come to room temperature before combining the ingredients.
- Banana flavor: For this recipe, I add vanilla extract however, if you want a stronger banana flavor then add banana food flavoring instead.
The number of bananas you add to the cake depends on a few things. A smaller cake will require fewer bananas while a larger cake will call for more. Also, some recipes use more bananas to give the cake a stronger banana flavor.
The cake may be gummy due to an overly wet batter. Another reason may be because the cake was not baked for long enough. Make sure you follow the recipe and bake the cake at the correct temperature for the right time. Check if the cake is ready by sticking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is ready but if it has batter on it bake it for longer.
This moist banana cake is the opposite of dry. And all that lovely moisture means that it keeps well for several days. To store, wrap the fully cooled banana cake in cling film and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Before serving, allow the banana cake to come to room temperature on the counter. Alternatively, you can warm the cake in the microwave for 10-30 seconds.
You can even freeze this homemade quick bread. To do so, wrap the cake in a layer of cling film and a layer of aluminum foil. Then store it in the freezer for up to three months. Defrost on the kitchen counter and let it come to room temperature.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Stay connected and follow me for more recipes on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of my latest recipes!
The Best Moist Banana Cake
- 3 Banana (very ripe)
- 190 g Self raising flour (sifted)
- 140 g Caster sugar (sifted)
- 40 ml Buttermilk
- 75 g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 170C/150C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease a loaf tin with oil or butter and set aside. Add unsalted butter to a medium sized bowl and whisk on a low speed for 30 seconds. Add caster sugar into the bowl and whisk on a medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until the butter becomes pale yellow.
- Crack the egg open into a small bowl, add vanilla extract and gently mix together. Add 1/4 of the egg mix to the butter and sugar mix. Then, whisk until the egg disappears. Repeat this step with the rest of the eggs.
- Mash bananas in a medium sized bowl, pour buttermilk on top, mix and set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour self raising flour into a bowl, add baking powder, baking soda and mix.
- Add 1/4 of flour mix to the cake mix. Then, add 1/4 of the banana mix and whisk all the ingredients together on a medium speed. Repeat this step until you get a smooth batter (you can also use a large spoon). Pour the batter into the greased loaf tin. Then, bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Once the cake is ready remove it from the tin. Leave it to cool upside down on a cake rack and serve.
More Moist & Fluffy Homemade Cake Recipes
Before you put those loaf tins away, try one of these other fantastic and easy cake recipes:
- Easy Blueberry Cake is a breeze to make and always makes an impression. Serve it for a sweet breakfast or brunch.
- Cinnamon Nut Quick Bread has it all: cinnamon sugar swirls, moist cake, and crunchy walnuts.
- An Easy Vanilla Cake that may become your go-to recipe for birthdays or any celebration.
Love Banana bread! This looks so tasty!
I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my web site 🙂
Thanks! Glad you like it 🙂
Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Excellent blog and fantastic style and design.
Sure thing! Glad you like it 🙂
Hi Darren, Thanks for passing through! I am happy for you to quote a few articles and credit me. 🙂
Thank you! 🙂
Thank you! 🙂
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much! 🙂