The best moist banana cake recipe you will find! Tangy buttermilk makes this homemade banana cake moist and fluffy. Plus ripe bananas add a rich banana flavor.
About this Recipe
When done correctly, banana cake is such a treat! A well-made banana cake is incredibly moist and rich in banana flavor. I love serving banana cake for afternoon tea or a quick breakfast. This recipe also makes a lovely food gift to share with friends and neighbors.
Watch the 1-minute video tutorial below to see how I make the best moist banana cake!
For this recipe, you will need ripe bananas (the riper the better). So don’t throw out your bananas when they get soft! You will also need buttermilk to give the cake a moist and fluffy texture.
Did you know that Banana cakes are also sometimes called banana loaves? It’s because you bake them in loaf tins.
Why Buttermilk Makes The Best Moist Banana Cake
Buttermilk is the key to the tangy and fluffy texture in this recipe. Buttermilk contains more acid than regular milk. The acid activates the baking soda and baking powder in the cake batter before you even put the loaf in the oven. In addition, buttermilk imparts a subtle flavor and a deliciously soft texture.
Your homemade buttermilk is done when it’s thickened up and you can see a few curdled bits.
Recipe Ingredient Substitutions and Swaps
Don’t fret if you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand for this moist banana loaf cake. No buttermilk? In fact, you can still make your own buttermilk at home with a few simple ingredients.
To make your own buttermilk for the banana cake batter:
- First, combine 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar with one cup of milk or heavy cream.
- Next, give the ingredients a thorough mix.
- Finally, let the mixture sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.
How to Store Homemade Banana Cake
This moist banana cake is the opposite of dry. And all that lovely moisture means that it keeps well for several days. To store, wrap the fully cooled banana cake in cling film and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Before serving, allow the banana cake to come to room temperature on the counter. Alternatively, you can warm the cake in the microwave for 10-30 seconds.
You can even freeze this homemade quick bread. To do so, wrap the cake in a layer of cling film and a layer of aluminum foil. Then store it in the fridge for up to three months. That way, when you have guests stop in, you always have a moist banana cake ready to warm up for a treat.
More Delicious Cake Recipes
The Best Moist Banana Cake
- 3 Banana (very ripe)
- 190 g Self raising flour (sifted)
- 140 g Caster sugar (sifted)
- 40 ml Buttermilk
- 75 g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 170C/150C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease a loaf tin with oil or butter and set aside. Add unsalted butter to a medium sized bowl and whisk on a low speed for 30 seconds. Add caster sugar into the bowl and whisk on a medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until the butter becomes pale yellow.
- Crack the egg open into a small bowl, add vanilla extract and gently mix together. Add 1/4 of the egg mix to the butter and sugar mix. Then, whisk until the egg disappears. Repeat this step with the rest of the eggs.
- Mash bananas in a medium sized bowl, pour buttermilk on top, mix and set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour self raising flour into a bowl, add baking powder, baking soda and mix.
- Add 1/4 of flour mix to the cake mix. Then, add 1/4 of the banana mix and whisk all the ingredients together on a medium speed. Repeat this step until you get a smooth batter (you can also use a large spoon). Pour the batter into the greased loaf tin. Then, bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Once the cake is ready remove it from the tin. Leave it to cool upside down on a cake rack and serve.
More Moist & Fluffy Homemade Cake Recipes
Before you put those loaf tins away, try one of these other fantastic and easy cake recipes:
- Easy Blueberry Cake is a breeze to make and always makes an impression. Serve it for a sweet breakfast or brunch.
- Cinnamon Nut Quick Bread has it all: cinnamon sugar swirls, moist cake, and crunchy walnuts.
- An Easy Vanilla Cake that may become your go-to recipe for birthdays or any celebration.