Check out how to make mozzarella sticks! These golden crispy appetizers are oozing with stretchy, creamy, cheesy goodness plus they are so simple to make!
Mozzarella sticks are a cheese lover’s dream and I always order them when I get the chance. They are very easy to make and can be served as a snack, side or appetizer.
Reasons Why I Love This Recipe
- You can make mozzarella sticks ahead of time. Freeze them for a minimum of 2 hours and cook them when you are ready!
- They are vegetarian.
- Cook these appetisers in under 30 minutes.
- You only need FOUR ingredients.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- Mozzarella cheese is used to make these cheesy sticks of goodness and it can be found in most supermarkets. Mozzarella cheese is usually sold in a ball or block. You will need a block of mozzarella for this recipe to achieve the “stick” shape.
- Flour is used to coat the mozzarella stick. You can use plain flour or all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Egg wash is a mixture of eggs and water. It is the second ingredient used to coat the mozzarella sticks after the flour.
- Breadcrumbs are the final ingredient used to coat them. Breadcrumbs give the this appetiser its crispy outer layer. Use golden breadcrumbs for this recipe to achieve the notorious golden-brown colour!
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder are added to the breadcrumbs to add some flavour.
- Vegetable oil is used to cook theses cheesy sticks.
Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
So, let’s get to it! Firstly, you’ll need to prepare your ingredients. Add 1-2 cups of flour to a bowl. Then add 1-2 cups of breadcrumbs to another bowl season with salt to taste, pepper to taste, ¼-1/2 a tsp of garlic powder and stir. Crack two eggs into a bowl, add two tablespoons of water, whisk and set aside for later.
Now, chop 400-450g of mozzarella into equal-sized sticks. Coat each stick in flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs. Then, coat each stick in egg wash and breadcrumbs again.
Place breadcrumbs in an airtight container and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
Once they are firm, heat up a deep fryer (or oil in a saucepan) and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Finally, serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Top Tips on How to Make Mozzarella Sticks
- In order to make the BEST mozzarella sticks you need to freeze them for a minimum of 2 hours once you have coated them with eggs, flour and breadcrumbs. Freezing them prevents the mozzarella from oozing out while frying.
- Another way to prevent the mozzarella from oozing out is by coating them with eggs, flour and breadcrumbs TWICE.
- Use high quality mozzarella for this recipe.
- DO NOT skip the seasoning. Adding salt, pepper and garlic powder to the breadcrumbs adds flavour and enhances each ingredient in this tasty appetiser. Skipping the seasoning can result in bland mozzarella sticks.
- DO NOT overcook.
- You can use string cheese instead of mozzarella.
- If you want to make authentic mozzarella sticks, then use Italian breadcrumbs.
- If you want a healthier alternative, then you can bake them instead of frying them.
- Air fryer mozzarella sticks are also a thing! Add the frozen mozzarella sticks to an air fryer and cook away!
How to Serve
Serve with marinara sauce, ketchup or any other of your favourite dips!
- Baked Meatballs in Meatball Sauce
- Garlic Bread From Cooking Classy
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Stay connected and follow me for more recipes on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of my latest recipes!
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks
- 450-500 g of mozzarella
- 1-2 cups of flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsb of water
- 1-2 cups of breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ¼-1/2 a tsp of garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
- First, you’ll need to prepare your ingredients. Add 1-2 cups of flour to a bowl. Then add 1-2 cups of breadcrumbs to another bowl season with salt to taste, pepper to taste, ¼-1/2 a tsp of garlic powder and stir. Crack two eggs into a bowl, add two tablespoons of water, whisk and set aside for later.
- Now, chop 450-500g of mozzarella into equal sized sticks. Coat each stick in flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs. Then, coat each stick in egg wash and breadcrumbs again.
- Place breadcrumbs in an airtight container and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Once the mozzarella sticks are firm, heat up a deep fryer (or oil in a saucepan) and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Leave a Reply