This easy Nigerian meat pie recipe will have your family and friends coming back for more! Learn how to soft meat pie dough and fill each pie with a homemade delicious savory minced beef, carrot and potato filling. Serve meat pie as a snack or appetizer.
About This Recipe
The smell of this pie baking is enough to have everyone lining up. The savory filling and perfect dough complement each other perfectly, making this appetizer the ultimate crowd-pleaser! The filling can be prepared in less than 20 minutes and the dough in less than 30 minutes.
Meat pie is a delightful street food snack enjoyed by many Nigerians. People normally opt for this snack when they are in a hurry or on the go. It is also served at parties as a snack or appetizer.
- Vegetable/sunflower oil: To cook the filling.
- Minced beef: Use fresh minced beef to make the filling.
- Onion: Add diced onions to add more flavor to the filling.
- Chicken stock seasoning cubes: This is used to season the beef.
- Thyme: Adds a herby flavor to the filling.
- Potatoes diced: This is a delicious addition to the pie and adds a soft texture to the filling.
- Carrots diced: Add a delicious sweet flavor to the pie.
- Flour and water mixture: This mixture prevents the meat filling from drying while the pies bake in the oven.
Meat Pie Dough Ingredients:
- Plain flour: Use plain flour to make the dough. Do not use self-raising flour, as this includes some raising agents.
- Baking powder: Will be added to the plain flour to make the dough rise.
- Salt: This will add some flavor to the dough.
- Margarine or unsalted butter: Use cold margarine or unsalted butter to make the dough.
- Cold water: Use cold water to make the dough.
- Eggs: Egg wash seals the pie, giving it its notorious golden color.
How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie
- Heat a splash of oil in a large pan. Then add one diced large onion, cook for a few minutes, and add 750g of minced beef.
2. Add 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes, salt to taste, pepper to taste, a pinch of thyme, stir and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Then, add 3-4 precooked, diced potatoes, 4-5 diced carrots and 1-2 cups of flour mix and stir. Leave to cook for 5-7 minutes or until done. Set aside and leave to cool.
Flour mixture: 1-2 cups of water mixed with 2-5 tbsp of flour.
4. Meanwhile, add 1.5kg of plain flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1-2 tsp of salt and 750g small chunks of cold margarine into a large mixing bowl.
Meat Pie Dough
5. Combine flour mix and butter together by rubbing both together using your fingertips. Alternatively, you can add the flour mix and butter to a food processor and pulse until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
6. Pour in 375-450ml /2-3 cups of cold water and mix everything together until it forms a ball.
7. Then, knead the dough and leave to sit for 7-10 minutes.
8. Preheat oven at 170°C/340F. Then, divide the dough into two to make it easier when rolling. Use a rolling pin to flatten the first dough.
9. The pastry should be about 5mm thick. Use something circular to cut out the pastry for each pie. Repeat these steps with the remaining dough.
Fill and Bake Meat Pie
10. Add the minced beef filling to half of the pastry. Ensure the filling is not close to the edges; you will need enough space to seal the pie. Brush egg wash around the edges of the pastry, then fold the pie over. Use a fork to seal the edges.
Egg wash: To make egg wash crack two eggs open into a bowl, add 2 tbsp of water and mix for a few minutes. The egg wash will help to seal the pie and it also gives the pie a beautiful golden color once baked.
11. Finally, grease an oven tray with margarine or butter and add the meat pies. Lightly brush each pie with egg wash. Bake pies in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
12. Once the pies are done, leave them to cool before serving.
13. Get ready to eat and enjoy! Serve meat pie as a snack or appetizer.
Tips and Tricks
- Filling: Make sure you fill the pastry with a good amount of minced beef filling. There is nothing worse than an empty meat pie. Add a considerable amount of the water and flour mix to the filling to prevent dryness and ensure your filling stays moist after baking. Taste your minced beef filling and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Minced beef: Do not overcook the minced beef; it will become dry and rubbery.
- Meat pie dough: Do not knead the pastry too much, as this will result in a tough pastry. Ensure that the margarine and water used to make the pastry are cold before using them. Once you have combined the butter and flour, the mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Egg wash: Lightly brush your pies with egg wash for a beautiful golden-brown colored meat pie.
British Cornish pasties inspire Nigerian meat pie. Nigerian meat pies include more spices, vegetables and potatoes.
In Nigeria, street food vendors and fast-food restaurants sell meat pies at an affordable rate. People often eat meat pie when they are on the go or hungry for a quick snack.
Meat pie can be frozen for up to 2 months and refrigerated for up to a week.
Alternatives to The Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe
Traditionally Nigerian meat pies contain carrots, potatoes and minced beef. However, do feel free to experiment and add your favorite ingredients. For example, you can add peas or even omit the vegetables altogether. It really is up to you!
For a vegan Nigerian “Meat Pie” replace the minced beef with a blended cauliflower head and follow the same steps above.
This recipe also works with seafood. Pan-fry prawns, squid and mackerel for a delicious meat-free filling.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe
- baking tray
- Basting brush
- Rolling Pin
- 750 g of minced beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes
- A pinch of thyme
- 3-4 potatoes diced
- 4-5 carrots diced
- 2-3 tbsp of flour
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1.5 kg of flour
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1-2 tsp of salt
- 750 g of margarine
- 375-450 ml /2-3 cups of cold water
- 2 eggs beaten
- A splash of vegetable/sunflower oil
- Heat a splash of oil in a large pan. Then add onions and cook for a few minutes. Add minced beef, salt to taste, pepper to taste, a pinch of thyme, stir and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add knorr cubes, potatoes, carrots and 1-2 cups of flour mix and stir. Leave to cook for 5-7 minutes or until done. Set aside and leave to cool. Flour mix includes: 1-2 cups of water mixed with 2-3 tbsp of flour.
- Meanwhile, add flour, baking powder, 1-2 tsp of salt and small chunks of cold margarine into a large mixing bowl. Combine flour mix and butter together by rubbing both together using your fingertips. Alternatively, you can add the flour mix and butter to a food processor and pulse until the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
- Pour in cold water and mix everything together until it forms a ball. Then, knead the dough and leave to sit for 7-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 170°C. Divide the dough into two to make it easier. Use a rolling pin to flatten the first dough (it should be about 5mm thick). Use something circular to cut out the pastry the pie. Add the minced beef filling to the centre of the pastry and use egg mix to seal the pie. Use a fork to seal the edges and lightly brush the pie with egg mix. Repeat this step for each pie.
- Grease a large oven tray with margarine and bake pies for 30-40 minutes.
- Get ready to eat!
- Feel free to omit the veggies.
- Make sure the pastry filling is not too dry.
- The butter for the dough must be cold.
- Jamaican Beef Patties with Perfect Flaky Crust From Whisk it Real Gud