Mouthwatering vegetarian peppers stuffed with beluga lentils, red quinoa, sweetcorn and spinach cooked in a tomato sauce.
This is a great vegan, plant-based, vegetarian and low-carb option. We used organic beluga lentils and quinoa from Or-ways. Both ingredients tasted amazing and were so easy to prepare. Click below to watch the video tutorial.
Lentils are apart of the legume family and are very rich in protein.
They are also very affordable and can be found in most supermarkets.
Lentils are a great meat substitute and are very delicious because they soak up flavor. When cooking lentils it is important to follow the instructions on the packaging. Some lentils require a quick wash and can be cooked straight away while others may need to be soaked for a few hours.
What is Quinoa
Quinoa is a seed from the Chenopodium quinoa plant, it is gluten-free and a whole protein (contains all nine amino acids).
There are 120 different varieties of quinoa. The most popular varieties are white quinoa, red quinoa and black quinoa. White quinoa has a fluffy texture while red quinoa is more chewy and hearty. Black quinoa is slightly crunchy and sweet in comparison to white and red quinoa.
Alternatives Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers With Lentils
I LOVE bell peppers because they are filling, low carb and can be stuffed with so many different ingredients.
Examples of what to stuff bell peppers with:
- Minced beef/turkey
- Shredded beef
How To Store Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers With Lentils
This dish can be stored for 2-3 days. It is also a great meal prep option.
PRODUCTS USED TO MAKE VEGETARIAN STUFFED PEPPERS WITH LENTILS:
- 20 Simple Vegan Recipes for Beginners
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Spaghetti
- Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers With Lentils
- Oven dish
- 4 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange and green)
- 200 g beluga lentils
- 80 g red quinoa
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 can of plummed tomatoes (blended)
- 1-2 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Paprika to taste
- 1-2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 handful of spinach
- 3/4 cup sweetcorn
- Parsley to garnish
- A splash of vegetable oil
- Add enough vegetable oil to cover the base of a pan. Once the oil is hot add onions, crushed garlic and cook until soft.
- Pour in blended tomatoes, add cumin powder, oregano, salt, paprika to taste and stir. Bring the tomato sauce to a boil and add beluga lentils and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Add red quinoa into the pan and pour 1-2 cups of water. Add spinach, sweetcorn, stir and cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Grease oven dish wish a splash of oil. Slice bell peppers in half and add them to the oven dish. Stuff each pepper with lentil sauce and bake for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Garnish with parsley and serve.