Crispy, soft and delicious! Focaccia is the perfect fresh homemade appetizer or side to serve alongside dinner. This list includes the best Focaccia toppings. There truly is something for everyone to enjoy.
What is Focaccia?
You’ve seen this traditional Italian bread all over the internet. Tiktok, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram – you name it! This delicious bread has taken the internet by storm and people have made many different fun variations. Traditional focaccia bread is usually square or circular and is served as a side or appetizer. The main ingredients in focaccia include flour, olive oil, yeast and herbs.
Common herbs and seasoning used to make focaccia include garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary and sea salt which gives the bread an addictive mouth-watering, savory taste. The bread itself has a similar taste to pizza crust however it is slightly thicker.
Most focaccia bread is made with flour with a high gluten content but it is still possible to make Focaccia bread with gluten-free flour.
How to make Focaccia?
The great thing about focaccia is that it can be made in several different ways. For example, some recipes include cheese while others have olives. However, you decide to make your Foccacia the main ingredients remain the same in most recipes.
The main idea is to combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Then create a well in the middle of the flour mix and add the wet ingredients. Once you add the wet ingredients you can begin to mix them all together and start kneading the ingredients to form a dough. You will then need to leave the dough to rise for 35-45 minutes before baking
Once the dough has risen, you can add it to a baking dish or tray, press your fingers into the dough, add oil and any topping of your choice. Then finally bake the bread in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden and enjoy!
This round-up includes all of the best focaccia Toppings You Should Try! From tomatoes to capers there really is something for everyone to enjoy. You can also get really creative and decorate focaccia bread with beautiful spring art using ingredients like herbs, tomatoes and red onions!
There are no real rules when it comes to toppings however, it is a good idea to add 2-3 toppings that complement each other well to make the best flavor combinations.
Some other popular toppings include garlic, cheese, olives, dried herbs and more!
What to Serve with Focaccia?
Serve Focaccia with pasta, as an appetizer, as sandwich bread with a filling, as pizza bread, or with salads.
Focaccia Toppings You Should Try
- Focaccia Bread Art – This fun focaccia bread recipe will walk you through how to make focaccia bread and top it with herbs, onions and tomatoes to make gorgeous bread art!
2. Olive and Herb Focaccia – This focaccia recipe features classic Italian toppings that will leave you drooling and wanting more. Not to mention that it’s super easy to make.
3. Chocolate Orange Sweet Focaccia – Who says that focaccia can’t be sweet? Try this fun recipe and include chocolate orange for a sweet and memorable twist.
4. Sourdough Focaccia with Rosemary and Parmesan – Calling all sourdough lovers! This focaccia recipe is just what you need to satisfy your cravings. It is perfectly light and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
5. Focaccia Pizza – Did you know that focaccia is also a delicious alternative pizza crust option? Try this mouth-watering recipe and make your very own focaccia pizza with a simple tomato sauce and any other pizza topping of your choice.
6. Caramelized Onion Blue Cheese Focaccia Bread – If you’re a cheese lover then you’ll love this focaccia recipe. It features sweet and savory notes and makes the perfect appetizer or side dish.
7. No-Knead Focaccia Topped with Sesame seeds, Zaatar, and Fresh Sliced Garlic – Looking for an extra crispy focaccia recipe? This no-knead focaccia is the perfect fix. It’s topped with sesame seeds, zaatar and garlic making it a great crispy savory option.
8. Sourdough Focaccia with Concord Grapes and Rosemary – Sweeten up focaccia bread by adding Concorde grapes! This recipe will take you through how to make this delicious Sourdough focaccia with Concord Grapes and Rosemary. Add it to your next charcuterie platter.
9. Easy Focaccia with Pesto – If you are after a more intense herby flavor then why not try topping your focaccia with pesto! It can be homemade or shop-bought, it really is up to you.
10. Burrata and Prosciutto Focaccia – This focaccia recipe is a lovely authentic, meat and cheese alternative. This tasty combo is bound to have you wanting more.
11. Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia Recipe – Make this classic easy fresh focaccia bread and top it with juicy tomatoes, rosemary and garlic.
12. Rosemary Potato Focaccia – Next up, we have this delicious unique focaccia bread recipe that includes grated potatoes. The addition of potatoes makes this focaccia even softer on the inside.
13. Vegan Focaccia Pizza – Focaccia can be made vegan too! Top this yummy focaccia bread with vegan toppings like vegan cheese, sliced bell peppers, vegan walnut crumbles, and red pepper flakes.
14. Overnight Sourdough Focaccia with Herbs and Black Olives – Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Top with plump olives and a mixture of herbs, this bread is lovely on its own or dipped in some olive oil.
15. Fruit Focaccia (Sweet Focaccia with Dried Fruits) – Next up, we have this sweet focaccia bread recipe. It includes dried cherries and raisins. Serve with the evening tea
16. Parmesan-Herb Focaccia – The addition of parmesan makes this focaccia savory and chewy! Serve this golden wholemeal focaccia bread with soup.
17. Vegan Focaccia with Bread Art – Make this vegan focaccia bread and top it with herbs and vegetables to make beautiful bread art.
18. Asiago Cheese Focaccia Recipe – This asiago cheese focaccia bread recipe is topped with fresh herbs and cheese. It can be used to make a focaccia sandwich, pizza and more.
19. No-Knead Rosemary Focaccia Broccoli and Mozzarella Sandwich – Finally, we have this mouth-watering focaccia sandwich that is filled with mozzarella rather than being topped with anything. Feel free to add any other fillings of your choice and enjoy!
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.