Creamy, cheesy and delicious. This sweet and savory Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread is a mouth-watering dish. Fill freshly baked bread or store-bought bread with cream cheese, garlic and sugar then bake in the oven to make this yummy side. Serve this garlic bread as an appetizer or side.
About this Recipe
This Korean garlic bread is filled with delicious flavors and textures. The bread is perfectly crispy while the filling is creamy, garlicky and herby with a hint of sweetness – yum!
Korean cream cheese garlic bread is a popular Korean street food. It is inspired by Italian garlic bread but it has a twist as it includes sugar. The choice of bread is also different compared to the bread that is used to make garlic bread. It is circular and is cut like a star (as shown). This makes it easy to pull out each segment.
For this recipe, I decided to make the bread from scratch. However, you can use shop-bought brioche or milk bun if you are short on time. The baking time will be shorter as you don’t have to bake the bread.
Serve this Korean-inspired cream cheese garlic bread with soups, stews or protein like chicken, beef or seafood.
Korean Cheese Garlic Bread Ingredients
- Brown sugar: This adds a hint of sweetness to the bun.
- Milk: Use fresh milk for the dough.
- Flour: Plain flour is used to make the dough.
- Dry yeast: Is added to the dough to help it to rise as it bakes.
- Unsalted butter: Use unsalted butter for this recipe. If you don’t have any to hand or would prefer to use salted butter then do not add salt to the dough.
- Salt: Add some salt to balance out the flavors in the bread.
- Cream cheese: Use good quality cream cheese fo this recipe.
- Icing sugar: Icing sugar is added to add sweetness to the filling.
- Egg: Thickens the consistency of the filling.
- Milk: Add milk to get the perfect custard-like filling.
- Unsalted butter: Add good-quality unsalted butter.
- Garlic: Adds a savoury flavor to the garlic bread.
- Sugar: For sweetness
- Parsley: Adds a herby flavor to the bread.
How to Make Korean Garlic Bread
1.Start by adding warm milk to a bowl. Then add sifted flour, salt, sugar and dry yeast. Stir the ingredients well. Then add melted butter and knead the ingredients together until you get a soft dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave for 40-50 mins in a warm place.
Tip: If the dough gets too sticky, then add some flour.
2. The dough should double in size. Remove it from the bowl, divide the dough into 6 equal balls and place them on a baking sheet. Cover the buns with cling film and leave for 10 minutes. Then remove the film and place the buns in the hot oven. Bake at 360F/180C for 25-30 minutes.
3. While the buns are baking, mix the cream cheese with the lemon juice and icing sugar.
4. In another bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing, including melted butter, parsley, milk, unsalted butter, sugar, egg and minced garlic cloves.
5. Once the buns are ready, leave them to cool and then make slits in the top to divide into 6-8 petals.
6. Place the cream cheese filling between the petals of the buns. You can use a pastry bag.
8. Baste each bun with a milk, garlic and herb mixture. Then bake at 360F/180C for another 10-15 minutes. Finally, leave the buns to cool.
9. Serve this mouth-watering Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread with chicken, beef, seafood, soup or stew.
Korean Garlic Cheese Bread Tips and Tricks
- Bread: In this recipe, the bread is made from scratch. However, if you are short on time or prefer not to make the bread you can buy ready-made brioche bread from the supermarket instead. Skip steps 1 to 3 and follow the recipe from 3 to 9.
- Yeast: Make sure you check the date on the yeast before you prepare the bread. If the yeast has expired then the bread will not rise.
- Filling: Feel free to add less or more of the cream cheese filling depending on your preference.
Brioche bread is usually used for Korean garlic bread. It’s soft, sweet, and includes milk. The bread used for Korean garlic bread can be made from scratch or it can be purchased from the supermarket.
Korean garlic bread can be reheated in the oven. Heat it at 350F/175C for 5 to 10 minutes or heat it in the microwave.
Korean garlic bread has a combination of sweet and savoury flavors. It is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. It also has a creamy custard-like, garlic and herb filling.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread
- Large Bowl
- baking tray
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 200 ml of warm milk
- 400 g of plain or all-purpose flour
- 5 g of dry yeast
- 60 g of unsalted butter
- A pinch of salt
- 150 g of Cream cheese
- 1.5 tsp of Icing sugar
- 1 tsp of Lemon juice
- 100 ml of milk
- 40 g of unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of Sugar
- 5-6 sprigs of parsley
- 1 Egg optional
- Add warm milk, sifted flour, salt, sugar and dry yeast to a bowl.
- Stir the ingredients then add melted butter and knead into a soft dough. If it gets too sticky, you can add some flour. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave for 40-50 mins in a warm place. The dough should double in size. Take it out of the bowl. Preheat oven at 360F/180C.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal balls and place on a baking sheet. Cover the buns with cling film and leave for 10 minutes. Then remove the film and place the buns in the hot oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- While the buns are baking, mix the cream cheese with the lemon juice and icing sugar. In a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing, including melted butter, parsley, milk, unsalted butter, sugar, egg and minced garlic cloves.
- Then let the buns cool and then make 6-8 slits in the top to make petals or a star. Place the cream cheese filling between the petals of the buns using a spoon or pastry bag.
- Baste each bun with the milk, garlic and herb mixture. Then bake at 360F/180C for another 10-15 minutes. Finally, leave the buns to cool.