This Mediterranean Hummus Recipe is the perfect side to add to any table. It is creamy, packed with flavor and nutritious. Make it in 10 minutes and serve it in wraps, as a side or snack.
About this Recipe
Hummus is a great starter option because it is so easy to make. I know you're probably thinking why not just buy hummus from the supermarket but once you try this recipe you'll never go back!
Chickpeas are a legume rich in protein. They are used to make curries, salads, sandwiches and more. Chickpeas are also the main ingredient used in hummus to make hummus because they have a super creamy texture when whipped/blended. All the ingredients used in this recipe are fresh plus it doesn't include all of the preservatives. Making hummus at home also gives you the opportunity to alter the ingredients to suit your taste.
This yummy dip was made in 10 minutes and can be served with bread, carrots, cucumbers, celery, olives, or wraps.
Hummus Mediterranean Ingredients
- Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans: Chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans are the main ingredients used to make this scrumptious Mediterranean dip.
- Tahini: Tahini is sesame seeds blended into a paste. Use good quality shop-bought tahini for this recipe.
- Lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice works best for this recipe but you can use shop-bought lemon juice instead. If it is too strong then dilute it.
- Garlic cloves: I prefer to use fresh garlic for this recipe but if you don't have any to hand you can use garlic powder instead.
- Water: Make sure you have some water to hand as this is what will help to loosen the consistency of the hummus and make it silky smooth. The amount of water you add depends on your preferred texture of hummus.
- Cumin: This adds delicious flavor to the hummus.
- Salt: to taste or as instructed.
- Olive oil: This will also help to make this hummus smooth and can be drizzled on top of the hummus when serving.
- Sumac: or paprika for serving.
- Parsley: Serve this hummus with roughly chopped parsley.
How to Make Hummus (Mediterranean)
1.Start by adding tahini and lemon juice to a food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to add some water to get a smooth, silky consistency.
2. Once the tahini is smooth, add salt, and cumin and blend until smooth.
3. Next, add garlic cloves and chickpeas to the food processor and blend. As the mixture blends add olive oil and water until the hummus becomes smooth and creamy.
Tip: The amount of water you add depends on your preferred texture of hummus. Start by adding a small amount and add more if necessary.
4. Serve this smooth, creamy hummus with olive oil, sumac, fresh parsley and pita, falafel wraps, bread, carrots, cucumbers and any other side of your choice.
Tips and Tricks
- Smoother hummus: If you want an even smoother hummus then remove the skin from the chickpeas before blending.
- Storage: Refrigerate for up to 2-3 days in an air-tight container.
- Serving: This bowl is very easy to customize and goes well with lots of different sides.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Hummus Mediterranean Recipe
- Food processor
- 1 can of chickpeas cooked or canned
- ½ a cup of tahini
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves or garlic seasoning to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Olive oil
- Sumac or paprika for serving
- Add tahini and lemon juice to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add water if necessary. The texture should be smooth and creamy.
- Add salt, cumin, garlic and blend until smooth.
- Then, add chickpeas, olive oil and blend again. Add water and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Plate up, add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle sumac or paprika and chopped parsley on top. Serve with carrots, cucumbers and crackers.