Make this mouth-watering 3-ingredient Quick Persian Shirazi Salad! It is made with juicy tomatoes, fresh cucumber and fragrant mint. Serve this salad as a main or side with lamb, chicken or fish.
Shirazi salad aka salad-e shirazi is a delicious and refreshing Persian salad that can be enjoyed as a side dish or a light meal. The name comes from a city called Shiraz in Iran. It is made with finely chopped vegetables, such as cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and parsley, and dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. The key to making a perfect shirazi salad is to cut the vegetables very small, so that they can absorb the dressing and create a harmonious blend of tastes.
Plus it is a great way to use up fresh produce and add some color and crunch to your plate. If you love this salad, you'll love this tabbouleh salad.
What I Love About This Recipe
- It is refreshing and delicious.
- This salad is very easy to make.
- You only need three ingredients to make it.
- It is budget-friendly.
- Tomato: Select fresh, juicy ripe tomatoes. You can use any other tomatoes of your choice e.g. cherry tomatoes, better boy tomatoes or aroma tomatoes.
- Cucumber: Use English, mini or Persian cucumbers for this Persian salad.
- Mint: The addition of mint makes this side dish taste very refreshing. Use fresh unbruised mint for this Shirazi salad recipe.
- Lemon: Or lime juice is used as the dressing.
- Salt: To taste.
- Pepper: To taste.
- Olive oil: A drizzle of oil.
Some variations of this salad also include feta cheese, pomegranate, or walnuts for extra flavor and texture.
Traditional Shirazi includes ab-e-ghooreh however, if you can't access this then use lime or lemon juice instead.
How to Make Shirazi Salad
- Chop tomatoes and cucumbers as small as possible. Then chop the mint small and add all of the ingredients to a bowl.
2. Drizzle oil on top of the salad, season with lemon juice, salt to taste and pepper to taste and toss.
Tips and Tricks
Tomatoes: If you don't want excess juice from the tomatoes, deseed them before chopping.
It is best to serve this salad immediately but if you want to serve it ahead of time then chop up the veggies, refrigerate in an airtight container and add the dressing just before serving.
Thanks for reading this recipe; comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
- Chefs knife
- chopping board
- Salad bowl
- 3 tomato diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- ½ red onion diced
- ½ cup of mint
- 1 Lemon or lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Olive oil a drizzle of oil
- Dice the tomatoes and cucumbers into very small pieces. Then, finely chop the mint leaves and add them to a large bowl along with the diced vegetables.
- Next, pour some oil over the salad and season it with lemon or lime juice, salt, and pepper according to your taste. Finally, toss everything well to combine and enjoy!