This healthy one-pan Peri Peri Chicken and Tomato Bulgur is an easy weeknight chicken dinner that’s packed with nutrition. Chicken thighs spiced with paprika, simmered in a rich tomato sauce with plenty of colorful vegetables.
You will love how this hearty dish has a hint of zest, sweetness, and a kick of spice. It’s the perfect healthy dinner recipe to add to your fall and winter meal rotation.
Who else finds themselves looking for extra heat at the first signs of fall? Be it a nice warm jumper, a toasty fire, a hot cup of tea, or a spicy meal. Any and all of these things are what I need in my life from now until March…good old English weather!
That’s why this flavor-packed Peri Peri Chicken and Tomato Bulger recipe is just what I need. It’s warming, gently spiced, and packed with satisfying whole grains, tender chicken thighs, and a blast of heat.
Why We Love One Pan Peri Peri Chicken and Tomato Bulgur
First of all, this dish is so easy to make! One pan dinner = less clean up (yay!). And more time to spend with friends and loved ones. In addition, this is a simple make-ahead meal. You can prep the marinade earlier in the day or the night before, which means one less step at dinner time!
Finally, this meal is incredibly healthy. Peri Peri Chicken is full of some of my favourite ingredients:
- Juicy chicken thighs. Check
- Peri peri seasoning. Check
- Honey and lemon. Check Check.
- Whole-grain bulgur wheat. Check!
What is Peri Peri?
Peri peri is a hot little red chili pepper. Like many chili peppers, piri piri originally comes from plants all across North, Central, and South America. However, this pepper, in particular, grows in the wild in Africa. Today, it’s cultivated commercially in South-Eastern Africa. In fact, farmers grow peri peri peppers for both commercial food processing and for pharmaceuticals.
Is Peri Peri Good for you?
Yes! Peri peri is rich in Vitamins A, B, and C. These peppers also have mood-enhancing capsaicin. After inducing in a peri peri-spiced dish like this chicken skillet, your pupils may dilate, your metabolic rate may increase, and you might even enjoy a thrilling rush of endorphins!
How to make this Peri Peri Chicken and Tomato Bulgur
Now that you can’t wait to get your hands on more peri peri, here are the quick and easy steps to make healthy one-pan peri peri chicken with tomato bulger tonight:
- First, add the chicken thighs to a large bowl, along with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, peri peri seasoning, salt, paprika, garlic powder, lemon juice, honey, and oregano. Marinade the chicken for 30 minutes (if you have time).
- Meanwhile, dice the onions and carrots.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sear the chicken thighs until brown, then transfer to a plate. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan and sauté the onions. Pour in the canned tomatoes and add the tomato puree. Bring the tomato sauce to boil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bulgur wheat, add water and simmer for 10 minutes (add more water if needed).
- Add the carrots, peas, corn, and chicken to pan and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the wheat grains are tender.
Can I Store Leftovers?
Yes! Peri peri chicken is actually a great dish for meal prep. You can make a big batch and enjoy it for lunch for the next three days! The rich tomato-bulgar sauce will become even more flavorful.
Interested in more healthy and flavor-packed (maybe even a bit spicy) dinner recipes to add your rotation? Why not start with these show-stoppers:
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know! Share it with me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or leave a star rating below!
Peri Peri Chicken and Tomato Bulgur
- pan, suitable for oven
- mixing bowl
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- splash of oil
- 2-3 tbsp of peri peri seasoning to taste
- salt to taste – see notes
- paprika to taste
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp oregano (and any other seasoning, optional)
- To cook:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 400g can blended plum tomatoes
- 2.5 tbsp tomato purée
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 200 g bulgur wheat
- 1-2 cups water
- 2-3 carrots diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sweetcorn
- Add the chicken thighs to a bowl along with 1 tsp vegetable oil, peri peri seasoning, salt, paprika, garlic powder, lemon juice, honey and oregano. Marinade for 30 minutes (optional).
- Dice the onions, carrots and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Part-fry the chicken thighs until brown, then remove. Then add 1 tsp oil to pan and sauté the onions. Pour in the canned tomatoes and add tomato puree. Bring to boil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in bulgur wheat, add water and simmer for 10 minutes (add more water if needed).
- Add carrots, peas, corn and chicken to pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.