Crispy, spicy and delicious. These Crispy Buffalo Chicken Thighs are the perfect addition to any menu. They are bright, filled with flavor and easy to prepare. Make these chicken thighs in 30 minutes and serve them with fries, salad, wedges and more.
About this Recipe
Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside! What more could you ask for? These chicken thighs will definitely bring all the heat and they are a lot easier to make than you probably think. With a few easy-to-find ingredients you will be able to whip up these showstopping chicken thighs in no time!
There's something extra delicious about crispy chicken. You get a mouth-watering crunch from the skin followed by succulent, moist chicken flesh in every bite - yum! Usually when people think of hot chicken their go-to chicken part is wings but I'm here to tell you that these chicken thighs are just as good if not better. Chicken thighs are a meatier cut and can be served as a side or main.
Chicken is a popular protein choice because it is high in protein, easy to find and is relatively affordable. Plus it can be served with so many different things. I like to serve these tasty crispy thighs with sweet potato fries, mashed potatoes, salad, mac n' cheese and more!
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Thighs Ingredients
- Chicken thighs: Select good quality chicken thighs for this recipe. If you are using frozen chicken thighs then allow them to thaw fully before you prepare the buffalo chicken thighs.
- Baking powder: Don't skip the baking powder. It is added to the dry mixture to make the chicken thighs crispy on the outside.
- Paprika: Adds a delicious subtle heat to the chicken thighs.
- Garlic powder: Adds flavor to the chicken thighs.
- Onion powder: Gives the thighs more flavor.
- Oregano: Adds a subtle herby flavor to the chicken.
- Salt: To taste.
- Black pepper: to taste.
- Unsalted butter: Is added to the buffalo sauce to make it extra smooth.
- Buffalo sauce: Is used to coat the chicken thighs. Feel free to use any other hot sauce of your choice. If you prefer less heat then go for a milder hot sauce and if you want to up the heat then select an even hotter sauce.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Thighs
1.Grab a bowl and add baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oregano and black pepper to taste and stir until evenly combined. Next, add chicken thighs to a separate bowl.
2. Add the dry mixture to the chicken thighs and mix the chicken with the dry ingredients.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan or deep fryer at medium/high heat and cook chicken thighs on both sides for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and done.
Tip: The temperature of the oil should be 350F/175C.
4. As the chicken cooks melt butter in another saucepan and pour in hot sauce. Stir the sauce on low heat for 3-5 minutes.
5. Once the chicken thighs are ready place them on some paper towels on a plate to soak up excess oil from the chicken. Next, add the chicken thighs into the saucepan and coat them in buffalo sauce.
6. Then, coat each chicken thigh on both sides.
Tips and Tricks
- Baking powder: Is vital for this recipe as it gives the chicken thighs their notorious crispy skin on the outside. Make sure that the baking powder has not expired as this will affect the taste and crispiness of the chicken thighs. It is also important to note that baking powder can not be substituted with baking\bicarbonate soda as it has a strong metallic taste.
- Seasoning: The seasoning added to these chicken thighs is very simple. It includes salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and oregano. The chicken thighs do not need much seasoning because they are coated in the hot sauce which adds a lot of flavor once they are fried.
- Oil: Ensure you heat the oil at medium/high heat before frying the chicken thighs. To be specific the oil should be 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). It is essential that the oil is not too hot as you don't want the chicken to burn or cook on the outside and not on the inside and the oil should not be too warm either because the chicken will soak up too much oil and cook too slowly.
- Hot sauce: For this recipe, I chose to use buffalo sauce. However, you can use any hot sauce of your choice for this recipe.
- Batches: Double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd.
Yes, you certainly can but you may have to adjust the recipe slightly depending on the number of wings you are making.
Buffalo sauce is a popular hot sauce that is used as an accompaniment and as a sauce for dishes such as hot wings. Buffalo sauce is made with hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and butter.
To air-fry buffalo thighs, you will need to season the chicken thighs with salt to taste, pepper to taste, garlic powder, baking powder and any other seasoning of your choice. Then spray the thighs with oil and air fry them for about 12-18 minutes on each side at 200C/400F. Once the thighs are done coat them in buffalo sauce and serve.
Buffalo sauce has a very distinctive taste. It is tangy and hot with a hint of vinegar. It has a bright red color and a smooth liquid consistency.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Saucepan or deep fryer
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- 6 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon of salt (depending on how salty the hot sauce is)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup buffalo/hot sauce
- Sunflower or vegetable oil
- Add baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oregano and black pepper to taste to a bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Next, add chicken thighs to a separate bowl.
- Evenly coat the chicken thighs with the dry mixture and mix well.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or deep fryer at medium/high heat and cook chicken thighs on both sides for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and done. The temperature of the oil should be 350F/175C.
- While the chicken cooks melt butter in another saucepan and pour in buffalo sauce then stir the sauce on low heat for 3-5 minutes. Set aside for later.
- Once the chicken thighs are ready place them on some paper towels on a plate to soak up excess oil. Then, coat the chicken thighs on both sides in the Buffalo sauce.
- Serve crispy Buffalo chicken thighs with sour cream and garnish with fresh parsley. They can also be served with sweet potato fries, salad, coleslaw, mashed potatoes and more.