Whip up this luscious Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting using six ingredients. It has a smooth, creamy texture and a burst of berry flavor from the freeze-dried strawberries, making it a perfect frosting or filling option for desserts like cupcakes, cakes, pies and bars. Make it in 10 minutes.
This is my go-to strawberry-flavored frosting. It is rich in strawberry flavor and tangy, thanks to the addition of cream cheese—this strawberry frosting pairs well with chocolate cakes, vanilla cakes and cupcakes. You can also try my favorite easy cream cheese frosting recipe for carrot and banana cakes.
What I Love About This Recipe
- This frosting has a delicious, strong strawberry flavor.
- It has a pretty pink color.
- It can be made in three simple steps.
- This berry frosting has a lusciously smooth texture making it great for filling and frosting desserts.
- It can be made ahead of time.
- The ingredients are budget-friendly.
- Unsalted butter: The butter should be at room temperature for a smooth texture.
- Cream cheese: Use good quality full-fat cream cheese. It should also be at room temperature.
- Icing sugar: Sift the sugar to remove the lumps and excess dirt.
- Freeze-dried strawberries: I used shop-bought freeze-dried strawberries for this recipe but you can also use homemade freeze-dried strawberries.
- Salt: A pinch of salt to balance out the sweet berry flavor.
- Strawberry extract: To intensify the strawberry flavor.
- Mixing bowl
- Handheld whisk
There are different ways to make strawberry cream cheese frosting. Some people use fresh strawberries, frozen strawberries, strawberry jam or puree instead of freeze-dried strawberries. However, the recipe may vary slightly depending on these swaps.
How to Make Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whisk 100g of unsalted butter with 160g of cream cheese until combined.
2. Then add 120g (one-third) of the icing sugar and whisk until combined. Repeat this step with the remaining sugar.
3. Add 25g of freeze-dried strawberries to the cream cheese frosting, add a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp of strawberry extract and whisk for another 2-3 minutes or until smooth or spreadable.
4. Use this strawberry cream cheese frosting for cake, cupcakes, to fill donuts, pies, tarts and more.
Tips and Tricks
- Room temperature: Ensure that the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature before making this frosting. This will guarantee that the frosting has a smooth and fluffy texture.
- Measuring scale: When making desserts, it is best to use a weighing scale to help you avoid pitfalls and ensure that your results are accurate.
- Make ahead: This frosting can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for up to one month.
No. Cream cheese frosting is made with butter, cream cheese and icing sugar, while buttercream is only made with butter and icing sugar. Both can be used for frosting cakes and other desserts.
Frosting can become runny due to the addition of too many liquids or hot weather. Whatever the case may be, you can thicken the frosting by adding cornstarch.
Refrigerate in a ziplock bag or airtight container for up to 3 days. Once you are ready to use it, whisk for a few minutes to make it fluffy and spreadable. Freeze strawberry frosting in a ziplock bag or airtight container for up to 1 month. Defrost in the fridge for 24 hours or until softened, then whisk for a few minutes when you are ready to use it.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- mixing bowl
- Handheld whisk
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 160 g cream cheese
- 360 g icing sugar
- 25 g freeze-dried strawberries
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp strawberry extract
- Add unsalted butter and cream cheese to a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Then add one-third of the icing sugar to the mixture and whisk until combined. Repeat this step with the remaining sugar.
- Add freeze-dried strawberries to the cream cheese frosting, add a pinch of salt and strawberry extract and whisk for another 2-3 minutes or until smooth or spreadable.
- Use this frosting for your favorite desserts!