Get ready to dazzle your guests with this mouth-watering, vibrant, yellow Fluffy Turmeric Rice! This super simple rice recipe is a wonderful accompaniment to a meat dish or main dish. Make it in 30 minutes and serve as a side dish.
About this Recipe
This popular yellow rice dish is enjoyed all over the world. Each region has its own variation for example, some regions add mixed vegetables while others add herbs like bay leaves, raisins and lemon. The key ingredient in this dish is turmeric as it gives the rice its notorious yellow color so make sure you use good quality powdered turmeric for the best results.
Turmeric is a flowering plant from the ginger family species. It is used in cooking and has a warm, bitter, black pepper flavor and mustard-like aroma. In powder form, turmeric is a popular ingredient for flavor and color in many Asian curries and dishes.
Serve this crowd-pleasing rice dish for lunch or dinner. Because of how easy and fast it is to prepare, Turmeric rice is a great weeknight recipe option, especially for days when you need something super fast. You can serve golden turmeric rice on its own or with Tandoori Chicken Kebabs or Falafels. You can also serve it with vegetable curries or sauces.
- Olive oil: Use good quality olive oil to make turmeric rice.
- Butter: Feel free to use unsalted butter or salted butter. Adjust the amount of salt added to rice depending on the type of butter you use.
- Garlic cloves: You can use grated or chopped garlic. Use shop-bought crushed garlic as an alternative.
- Onion: Use white onions or shallots for this recipe.
- Turmeric: Use good-quality turmeric powder for this recipe.
- Chicken stock or water: Add chicken stock or vegetable stock to the turmeric rice to add more flavor. If you don’t have any to hand then you can use water instead.
- White rice: Rinse the starch out of the white rice thoroughly before cooking. The water should run clear.
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste: This recipe includes cayenne pepper but feel free to add and powdered pepper of your choice.
How to Make Turmeric Rice
1.First, rinse the rice thoroughly until it is completely clear. This is a very important step as it will ensure that the rice is fluffy and does not stick together. Set the washed rice aside for later.
2. Next, melt the butter in a medium-sized pot and add the onions, and garlic. Then, cook the onions and garlic for a few minutes.
3. Add the turmeric to the pot and stir for one minute.
5. Then, pour the chicken stock or water into the pot.
6. Next, add the rice, salt to taste, pepper to taste and stir very well.
Tip: Stirring will make sure that the turmeric is mixed evenly with the rice.
7. Bring the rice to a boil and cook for 10 -15 minutes, checking for doneness at 5-minute intervals. If the rice needs more water to soften, add more water as needed.
8. Once the Fluffy Turmeric Rice is ready, garnish it with pepper and fresh herbs. Serve garlic turmeric rice as a side with Tandoori Chicken Kebabs, vegetables, salad, curries and more.
Tips and Tricks
- Rice: Basmati and jasmine rice are usually used to prepare turmeric rice. The grains of these types of rice are slim and they tend to absorb flavors well.
- Substitutions: If you cannot find basmati or jasmine rice, you can substitute it with long grain rice.
- Starch: Whichever type of rice you choose to use, make sure you rinse the rice to remove the starch in the rice. Rinsing the starch out of the rice makes it lighter and it is also easier for the rice to absorb the flavors of the spices.
- Batches: Feel free to double or triple this recipe if you are feeding a crowd.
- Alternatives: You can also make instant pot turmeric rice, rice cooker turmeric rice or saffron turmeric rice.
It has a subtle turmeric flavor. Turmeric has an earthy and slightly bitter taste and is also believed to be medicinal. Traditionally, turmeric rice is served alongside vegetables, meat nd curries.
Yes. Turmeric flavor is described as warm, bitter, black pepper-like flavored with an earthy mustard-like aroma. This makes it a good ingredient for comfort foods/dishes such as curries and soups.
Turmeric rice is enjoyed throughout many regions. Each region makes it slightly differently.
Washing the rice is a very important step in making turmeric rice. If you don’t wash the rice then it will have a high starch content which will result in heavy sticky rice.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Fluffy Turmeric Rice Recipe
- Medium-sized saucepan
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2-4 garlic cloves grated or chopped
- 1/4 onion diced
- 2 tsp of Turmeric
- 4 cups of chicken stock or water
- 2 cups of white rice rinse until the water runs clear
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Then, add diced onions, and grated garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add turmeric to the pot and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour water or chicken stock into the pot. Add the rice, salt to taste, pepper to taste and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until done. Check every 5-7 minutes and add more water if necessary.
- Finally, serve this Fluffy Turmeric Rice with as a side with Tandoori Chicken Kebabs, vegetables, salad, curries and more.
- Make sure you rinse the rice to remove the starch. Rinsing the starch out of the rice will make it lighter.
- Feel free to half, double or triple this recipe depending on how many people you are serving.