A delicious beetroot pesto spaghetti recipe filled with nutrients! This homemade beetroot pesto includes walnuts, beets, pasta, and fresh herbs.
Beetroots are incredibly healthy. They’re packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Not to mention they’re high in fiber and low in calories. And this vibrant red spaghetti pesto recipe is a great way to add more beetroots to your diet.
This is a quick, easy family-favorite weeknight dinner recipe that I think you’ll be making all year long.
This beetroot spaghetti recipe is also a simple vegan meal. It’s dairy-free and can be made gluten-free too. All you need is a food processor and a few simple ingredients.
Beetroot pasta is a great colorful meal option for kids. They tend to be excited and intrigued by the color. As a result, it’s a really great way to make eating vegetable fun.
How to Make Beetroot Pesto Spaghetti
This is a simple weeknight meal with just two steps. first, you’ll cook your favorite pasta (I often use spaghetti) in heavily salted, boiling water until it’s al dente.
While the pasta cooks, whip up your beetroot pesto sauce in a food processor. Simply add all of the ingredients and blend until you have a smooth, creamy consistency, streaming in the oil with the motor running.
Finally, mix the pasta and pesto together in a large serving bowl, garnish with fresh parsley and dig in!
Ingredient Substitutions and Swaps
You can change up this recipe to make it your own. For example, use your favorite pasta shape. My favorites to pair with creamy pesto sauce include:
To make this recipe nut-free, you can omit the walnuts. This will also make a smoother pesto with no crunch. In addition, don’t be afraid to play around with some of the ingredients and create a pesto to suit your taste buds!
For example, you can use avocado oil for a more mild flavor. Or another type of nut, such as almonds, cashews or pine nuts for a slightly different texture.
Can I Make Beetroot Pesto Spaghetti Ahead of Time?
Yes. While the pesto sauce will be most vibrant right after cooking, you can make this recipe as a vegan meal prep option.
Store the pasta with pesto sauce in the fridge for 2-3 days. The beetroot pesto can also be refrigerated separately (in a tightly sealed jar) for 2-3 days.
- Creamy Avocado Pasta Salad
- 20 Simple Vegan Recipes For Beginners
- Roast Beetroot and Carrot Lentils with Black Cabbage From Lowly Food
Beetroot Pesto Spaghetti
- 2 pre-cooked beetroot
- 1 garlic clove
- 250 g of spaghetti
- 1/4-1/2 cup of reserved spaghetti water
- 1/2 a handful of walnuts
- 1-2 tsp of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Parsley to garnish
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil
- Add spaghetti to a saucepan of boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Leave to cook for 10-15 minutes on a low/medium heat and reserve 1/4-1/2 cup of the spaghetti water.
- Meanwhile, add beetroot, garlic, walnuts, lemon juice, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup of spaghetti water to a food processor and blitz for a few minutes. Gradually add olive oil until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add the spaghetti to a large bowl. Add the beetroot pesto to the bowl, mix well and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with parsley.