This Chocolate Bourbon Biscuit Cake is just what you need to brighten up your dessert table! Make it with just 4 ingredients and bake for just 20 minutes. Decorate with chocolate cream and more biscuits. Serve during birthdays and special occasions.
About The Chocolate Bourbon Biscuit Cake Recipe
Pull up your sleeves and get ready to make this delicious cake! It is so simple to make and only requires 4 easy-to-find ingredients. Bourbons are chocolate sandwich biscuits filled with chocolate buttercream. They are usually served as a snack or eaten with tea and kids love them.
This recipe takes a spin on the classic biscuits and makes a tasty two-layer cake that can be served at celebrations. If you don't fancy chocolate cream then feel free to skip it altogether and serve the cake plain instead. You can also swap brown sugar with white sugar if you don't have any to hand.
You can also half, double or triple the Bourbon biscuit cake recipe depending on how many people you plan to serve.
Bourbon Biscuit Cake Ingredients
- Bourbon biscuits: These yummy biscuits are blended into crumbs and combined with other ingredients to make the cake batter.
- Baking powder: This is leaveining agent used to help the cake rise.
- Brown sugar: Adds sweetness to the cake.
- Milk: Add milk to the dry ingredients to make the Bourbon biscuit cake batter.
- Heavy cream: Combine heavy cream with other ingredients to make chocolate cream.
- Icing sugar: This is a fine sugar that is used to make chocolate cream.
- Vanilla extract: For extra sweetness.
- Cocoa powder: Use good quality cocoa powder to make the chocolate cream.
- Mascarpone: Combine mascarpone with the other ingredients for a delicious texture and flavor.
How to Make Bourbon Biscuit Cake
- Preheat oven at 180C/360F. Then line two 7" or 6" baking tins with baking paper.
- Place the bourbon biscuits in a blender or food processor. Blend into crumbs.
- Add biscuit crumbs, baking powder, brown sugar and milk to a large bowl.
4. Mix the dry ingredients well in a bowl. Pour half of the cake batter into one tin then pour the remaining batter into the second tin.
5. Flatten the batter and bake cakes for 20-25 minutes. Check the readiness of the cakes with a wooden skewer - it should come out clean.
Remove cakes from the oven and leave them to cool upside down on a cooling rack.
How to make Chocolate Cream
6. While the cakes cool get started on the chocolate cream. Whip the heavy cream and icing sugar until you get medium peaks. Then add mascarpone, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and fold gently with a spatula.
7. Use a frosting bag with a nozzle to apply the cream to the cake. Add chocolate cream on top of the first cake layer and smooth it out. Then, place the second layer on top of the cake and spread the top cake with a thin layer of cream.
8. Alternate between chocolate cream swirls and bourbon biscuits around the rim of the cake. Then pour bourbon biscuit crumbles into the center of the cake.
Finally, refrigerate the cake for up to 1 hour to set the chocolate cream and serve as desired.
10. Serve this decadent Chocolate Bourbon Cake as a delicious dessert, for birthdays and special celebrations.
Tips and Tricks
- Bourbon biscuit crumbs: Make sure you blend the Bourbon biscuits into fine crumbs before making the batter. This will ensure that you get a delicious fluffy biscuit cake.
- Decoration: Feel free to get creative when decorating this chocolate bourbon biscuit cake. You can use chocolate ganache, chocolate buttercream, chocolate cream or serve it plain.
Bourbon biscuit is a popular chocolate sandwich biscuit. It is rectangular in shape and has a chocolate buttercream filling.
The name Bourbon comes from a combination of Bournville which is their place of origin and Bonn which is the hometown of professor Zehnloch.
A variety of desserts can be made with Bourbon biscuits. For example, brownies, cheesecakes, milkshakes, cakes and more.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Bourbon Biscuit Cake
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 7" Cake tins
- Food processor or blender
- 500 g Bourbon cookies + 50 g for decoration
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 300 ml Milk
- 100 ml Heavy cream
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 250 g Mascarpone
- Preheat oven at 180C/360F. Line two cake tins with baking paper.
- Add bourbon biscuits to a blender or food processor and blitz into crumbs. Then add the biscuit crumbs, baking powder, brown sugar and milk into a large bowl. Mix the ingredients well.
- Pour an equal amount of cake batter into each tin. Flatten the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check the readiness of the cakes with a wooden skewer - it should come out dry. Once the cakes are done leave them to cool upside down on a cooling rack.
How to Make Chocolate Cream
- While the cakes cool make the chocolate cream. Whip the heavy cream and icing sugar until medium peaks form. Then add mascarpone, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and fold gently with a spatula.
- Use a frosting bag with a nozzle to apply the cream to the cake. Add chocolate cream on top of the first cake layer and smooth it out. Place the second layer on top of the cake then spread the top cake with a thin layer of cream. Alternate between chocolate cream swirls and bourbon biscuits around the rim of the cake. Then pour bourbon biscuit crumbles into the center of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for up to 1 hour to set the chocolate cream and serve as desired.