This rich and decadent homemade hot chocolate recipe is filled with flavour. This recipe includes marshmallows, chocolate chips, milk and whipped cream.
About this Recipe
This is the perfect comforting, homey drink to get you through the winter. It is easy to make and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes. This homemade hot chocolate tastes just as good as the hot chocolate from your favourite coffee shop – I promise!
I am not a big fan of instant hot chocolate because the chocolate flavour is not that intense. So, in this recipe I use cocoa powder and chocolate chips to add more flavour. I also added marshmallows, whipped cream and a chocolate flake (YUM!).
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Pour 3 cups of milk into a saucepan, add 3 tbsp of cocoa powder and 2-3 tbsp of sugar and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Heat the mixture on a low/medium heat and whisk until it is hot enough to serve (not boiling).
Note: This recipe serves 3 people. If you want to serve more or less people then change the ingredients in the recipe accordingly. For example, use 2 cups of milk, 2 tbsp of cocoa powder, 1-2 tbsp of sugar and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips for 2 servings.
How to Serve Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Pour the hot chocolate into a cup
- Add marshmallows
- Add whipped cream
- Plcae half of a chocolate flake into the whipped cream
- Then top with flake bits or chocolate chips
- For a richer hot chocolate add 2 cups of chocolate chips
- For a milky hot chocolate add 4 cups of milk
- Use any milk of your choice e.g soya milk, almond milk or dairy milk.
- Swap milk chocolate chips for dark chocolate if you prefer a bittersweet taste.
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse and Strawberries
- Healthy Chocolate Pancake Recipe
- Starbucks Caramel Latte From Cooktoria
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Measuring spoons
- 3 cups of milk
- 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Pour 3 cups of milk into a saucepan. Heat the mixture on a low/medium heat and whisk until it is hot enough to serve (not boiling).
- Add 3 tbsp of cocoa powder and 2-3 tbsp of sugar and 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Heat the mixture on a low/medium heat and whisk until it is hot enough to serve (not boiling).
This is my kiddos favorite hot chocolate recipe! I love how easy it is to whip-up! They ask for it almost every night; so thank you for sharing it with us!
A few late afternoon storms have cooled the evenings down enough to enjoy this great drink. Thank you
It’s so rich and delicious! I love the addition of melted chocolate! Such a great recipe!
Love that i can make this athome! The recipe is marvellous and i enjoyed each sip
This was so quick and easy to make. The kiddos loved it, but I think I enjoyed it even more!
The combination of cocoa and chocolate chips is perfection. I made this with almond milk and it is SO creamy!
Almost nothing tastes better than homemade Hot Chocolate. We plan on making it again throughout the holiday season.