Enjoy the festive season with these soft Red Velvet Christmas Cookies! These delicious cookies are topped with white chocolate chips and green and red peanut M&M's. Bake in less than 30 minutes and serve as a tasty Christmas treat.
Soft, sweet, and delicious, these festive Christmas cookies are a wonderful Christmas treat choice. The white chocolate chips add a touch of sweetness, while the M&M's add some crunchy nuttiness. My favorite thing about these cookies is the colors because they match the red, white, and green of the holiday season!
What I Love About this Recipe
- The vibrant and gorgeous colors of these Christmas cookies!
- These cookies are scrumptious and have a wonderful soft and moist texture.
- This recipe is easy to scale up and make more batches for a bigger group.
- These cookies use common ingredients that you can find in any pantry.
- Unsalted butter: Use butter that is soft and at room temperature for easy mixing.
- Light brown sugar: This will sweeten and give a caramel flavor to the cookies.
- White granulated sugar: This will also sweeten the cookies.
- Egg: This will hold the cookies together. Use eggs that are at room temperature for a light cookie texture.
- Red food coloring: Use gel food coloring for this recipe to get the best red color.
- Plain flour: Sieve the flour before adding it to the wet ingredients to get rid of dirt and clumps.
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder: Use high-quality cocoa powder for the best chocolate taste.
- Bicarbonate of soda: This will make the cookies rise. Check the expiration date before using it.
- A pinch of salt: This will contrast the sweetness of the cookies.
- White chocolate chips: You can also chop up white chocolate bars instead of using chips.
- Red and green M&MS: You can also use red and green candy-coated chocolates instead of M&MS.
You can also top your Christmas cookies with crushed candy cane, dark chocolate chips, or mini marshmallows for more variety and flavor.
Make your cookies more delicious by leaving out the M&M's and white chocolate and dipping half of the cookie in white chocolate ganache and sprinkling some sprinkles on top.
How to Make Red Velvet Christmas Cookies
- Preheat oven to 160C/350F. Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper and set aside.
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside for later.
3. Grab a medium-sized bowl and whisk butter and sugar together for 3-5 minutes or until fluffy.
4. Next, add the egg, red food coloring and vanilla extract to the butter mixture. Then mix until just combined.
5. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula. Repeat this step with the remaining flour mixture, add chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Reserve 3-2 tablespoon of chocolate chips for later.
6. Use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon to scoop the dough, gently roll it into a ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Please repeat this step with the remaining dough and ensure there is space around each ball to prevent the cookies from sticking as they spread while baking. Press the reserved chocolate chips on top of the cookie dough balls. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes.
7. Remove them from the oven, then gently press chopped red and green M&M pieces into each cookie. Let them cool for 5 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Tips and Tricks
- Shape cookies: To make the red velvet cookies perfectly round, press a large cup on top of a hot cookie. Then, move the cup in a circular motion to smooth the cookie edges. Please do this for all the cookies and let them cool down. It is important to do this when the cookies are still warm, as they are not fully hardened.
- Dry ingredients: Sieve all the dry ingredients to get rid of lumps and ensure the cookie dough has the right texture when mixed with the wet ingredients.
- Measuring scale: When baking, many mistakes happen because the ingredients are not measured accurately. To avoid this, get a good weighing scale.
- Cookie dough: Do not mix the cookie dough too much, as this will make the cookies hard. Mix the ingredients until they are well combined. Also, do not roll the cookies too firmly because this will prevent them from spreading when baking.
Keep cookies in a sealed container or jar at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store cookies in a fridge in a sealed container for up to two weeks.
These cookies use the same ingredients as regular cookies, except for the addition of red food coloring.
A red velvet cookie is a tender and moist cookie with a lovely red-brown hue. It has a deep chocolate taste.
Thanks for reading this recipe; comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Red Velvet Christmas Cookies
- baking tray
- Parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- Hand-held electric whisk
- 130 g unsalted butter
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 60 g White granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of red food colouring
- 265 g all-purpose flour
- 15 g unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1 + ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 200 g of white chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup of red and green M&MS
- Heat the oven to 160C/350F. Put non-stick parchment paper on a baking tray and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and keep it aside for later.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Then, add the egg, red food coloring and vanilla extract to the butter mixture. Mix well until combined.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir with a spatula. Do this again with the rest of the flour mixture, add chocolate chips and stir well until combined. Save 3-2 tablespoon of chocolate chips for later.
- Scoop the dough with an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, softly roll it into a ball and put it on the prepped baking sheet. Do this again with the rest of the dough and make sure there is space between each ball to avoid the cookies from sticking as they spread while baking. Put the saved chocolate chips on top of the cookie dough balls. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven, then softly press white chocolate chips, chopped red and green m&m bits into each cookie. Let them cool for 5 minutes, then put them on a cooling rack to cool down. Enjoy the best red velvet Christmas cookies with hot chocolate, Baileys hot chocolate or white hot chocolate.