This Creamy Shrimp Avocado Salad is a refreshing and healthy dish that combines tender shrimp, ripe avocado, crunchy veggies, dill, mayonnaise and mustard. It’s easy to make in less than 15 minutes. Serve as a light lunch, appetizer, or side dish.
If you are looking for a filling, flavorful, healthy dish, this shrimp salad is a winner! It includes juicy Cajun shrimp, creamy avocado, crunchy celery, fresh tomatoes, spicy red onions and fresh dill tossed with mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. This shrimp and avocado salad with creamy dressing has it all! It is also vibrant and a great addition to any dinner spread.
What I Love About This Recipe
- The Cajun shrimp is mouth-watering and adds flavor to every bite.
- It is quick and easy to make.
- This shrimp salad is easy to customize.
- It can be served as a main or side.
- Shrimp: I use fresh shrimp for this recipe and peeled and deveined them before seasoning. If the shrimp is frozen, allow it to thaw completely before seasoning.
- Cajun seasoning: Use good quality Cajun seasoning for this recipe. Make sure you use a sodium-free seasoning and reduce the amount of salt if it is not sodium-free.
- Salt: To taste.
- Paprika: Adjust the amount of paprika to suit your taste.
- Celery: Use fresh green celery sticks for the best flavor.
- Avocado: Select ripe avocado for this salad.
- Tomato: Use fresh ripe tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Red onion: Will add some bite to this salad. Feel free to add less or more to suit your taste. If you do not have red onions, feel free to use green ones instead.
- Dill: Use fresh dill to add a fresh, herby flavor to the salad.
- Mayonnaise: I used light mayonnaise but feel free to use full-fat mayo instead. Add less or more depending on your preference.
- Mustard: I use English mustard however, you can use Dijon or any other mustard of your choice.
- Black pepper: To taste
- Lemon: Squeeze the juice from one lemon to add a zesty flavor to the avocado shrimp salad.
- Olive oil: A drizzle.
Air fryer or frying pan
If you are not too keen on the strong and tangy flavor of mustard and mayonnaise, you can swap it with a fresh and herbaceous cilantro dressing or a zesty and sweet citrus dressing. Alternatively, if you are a cheese lover who enjoys feta’s creamy and salty taste, you can chop it into small cubes or crumble it on top of your salad for extra flavor.
How to Make Creamy Shrimp Avocado Salad
- First, you need to prepare the shrimp. Peel off their shells, remove their veins and rinse them well. Then, toss them with some Cajun seasoning, salt, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil for a spicy and flavorful coating.
2. Next, you need to cook the shrimp until they are pink and juicy. You can use an air fryer or a skillet for this step. If you have an air fryer, preheat it to 200C/400F and cook the shrimp for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. If you prefer to use a skillet, heat some oil over medium-high heat and fry the shrimp for 3-4 minutes per side, turning once.
3. While the shrimp are cooking, you can chop up the ingredients for the salad. You will need some celery, avocado, tomato, red onion and fresh dill. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl. Then, add some mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and salt to taste, black pepper to taste and toss everything together. This will make a creamy and tangy dressing for your salad.
4. Finally, you can assemble your Creamy Shrimp Avocado Salad. Add the cooked shrimp to the bowl with the salad ingredients and mix well. You can serve it right away or chill it in the fridge for later. Enjoy your scrumptious shrimp salad with some bread or crackers if you like. Bon appétit!
Tips and Tricks
- Shrimp: If you want extra flavor, let the shrimp marinate in the fridge for one hour before cooking. I prefer to use large shrimp for this recipe but feel free to use medium or small shrimp instead.
- Veggies: Feel free to adjust the amount of each vegetable that is added to the salad. For example, add more tomatoes for a more sweet juicy flavor.
- Mayonnaise: This salad is quite creamy so you can adjust the amount of mayonnaise to suit your taste. If you want extra creamy, add a few more spoons; if you want a less creamy salad, add less mayo.
Shrimp salad is an easy delicious salad option. It can be made with different ingredients and dressings. Some popular combinations include shrimp, avocado, shrimp, and mayo or shrimp with lettuce.
Shrimp salad can be eaten as a side with mashed potatoes, crackers or lettuce. It can also be served as a sandwich filling.
It can be refrigerated for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Creamy Shrimp Avocado Salad
- 300 g of large shrimp
- 1/2 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Paprika to taste
- 3 stick of celery chopped
- 1/2 an avocado sliced
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/4-1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup dill
- 3-4 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsp of mustard
- Black pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Peel, devein and clean shrimp. Season shrimp with Cajun seasoning, salt, paprika and a splash of olive oil and mix.
- Cook shrimp in an air fryer at 200C/400F for 8 minutes or pan fry with a splash of oil for 3-4 minutes on both sides.
- Next, prepare the salad. Add cooked shrimp, celery, avocado, tomato, red onions, dill, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt to taste, black pepper to taste, a drizzle of olive oil to a bowl and mix. Serve and enjoy!
- Shrimp: To enhance the flavor of the shrimp, you can let them soak in the marinade in the refrigerator for an hour before cooking them. I like to use big shrimp for this recipe but you can also use medium or small ones if you prefer.
- Veggies: You can change the amount of each vegetable that you put in the salad according to your liking. For example, you can add more tomatoes if you want a sweeter and juicier taste.
- Mayonnaise: This salad has a lot of creaminess so you can adjust the amount of mayonnaise to fit your preference. If you want more creaminess, add a few extra spoons; if you want less creaminess, add less mayo.