Make this Easy Crispy Chicken Salad in no time at all using a few simple ingredients! It is a satisfying and healthy dish that combines crunchy chicken pieces with crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado, and more. Serve with garlic herb or honey mustard dressing.
This tasty chicken salad recipe is a delicious and easy way to enjoy a healthy meal in the summer. It is ideal for a quick and simple dinner or lunch, when you want something light and refreshing. This salad is packed with flavor and texture, from the crisp lettuce, chicken, and spicy jalapenos to the smooth avocado and dressing. The chicken is the highlight of this dish as it is crispy and golden on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. This chicken salad recipe is a crowd-pleaser that you will want to make over and over again.
What I Love About This Recipe
- It is quick and simple to make
- The chicken is crispy and delicious
- It can be made ahead of time.
- The ingredients are easy to find.
- Chicken: Use fresh chicken fillets. Remove any excess fat and bash the fillets with a blunt object before seasoning. This will tenderize it and help it to cook faster. If you are using frozen chicken, allow it to thaw completely before following the recipe.
- All-purpose flour: It is used to make the crispy crust of the chicken. The fillets are first coated in flour.
- Egg: The egg mixture acts as glue for the panko crumbs. After coating the fillet in flour, dip it in the egg and then press the panko onto the chicken.
- Panko: These are crunchy flakes that add texture and flavor to food. They are used to coat food before frying or baking.
- Parmesan cheese: Use good quality parmesan for flavor.
- Cooking spray: Is used to cook the fillets in the air fryer.
- Lettuce: I used romaine hearts but feel free to use any greens of your choice.
- Cherry tomatoes: Half the cherry tomatoes to make them bite-sized and easy to eat.
- Avocado: Use ripe avocado for the best flavor.
- Red onion: Dice red onions to add some bite. You can also swap them with scallions.
- Jalapeños: Chop these delicious peppers to add some heat.
- Dressing: I used shop-bought garlic herb dressing but feel free to use honey mustard, a homemade dressing or any other dressing.
Air fryer or pan
To make the chicken for a healthy alternative, I used an air fryer. However, you can also use an oven or shallow fry the chicken instead. If you choose to use an oven, line a baking tray with a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 190C/380F. If you prefer frying, coat a pan with oil and cook on both sides for 7-10 minutes on a medium-high heat.
You can customize this recipe with any ingredients of your choice. For example, you can make it more hearty by adding croutons or quinoa, or you can skip the jalapeños if you do not like chilli.
- In a bowl, mix the panko with olive oil, salt, and paprika. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk an egg until well beaten. Set aside. In a third bowl, place the flour. Set aside.
2. Place the chicken fillets between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a rolling pin or another blunt object until they are even in thickness. Season the chicken fillet with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. You can also add garlic powder or onion powder for more flavor. Next, dip the chicken in flour and make sure it is fully coated.
3. Coat the fillet with the egg mixture, then cover it with the panko crumbs.
4. Place the chicken in the air fryer and cook at 190C/380F for 10- 15 minutes. You can also bake or fry the chicken instead.
5. While the chicken cooks prepare the salad. Chop lettuce, tomatoes, Jalapeños and add them to a bowl. Next, slice an avocado, dice red onions and add them to the bowl.
6. Once the chicken is ready carefully remove it from the air fryer. Slice it diagonally then add it to the salad bowl. Sprinkle grated parmesan on top and drizzle your favorite dressing or tomato relish over the salad and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Crispy chicken: There are many ways to make a crispy chicken crust. Instead, you can follow the same recipe and swap the panko crumbs with cornflakes or crispy breadcrumbs.
- Make ahead: You can make the chicken ahead of time and reheat them in the oven or microwave once you are ready to serve.
- Batches: Feel free to double or triple this salad if you are feeding a crowd.
Sprinkle grated parmesan on top and serve it with any dressing of your choice for more flavor. Some popular dressings are garlic and herb, honey mustard and ranch.
It is usually served warm or at room temperature.
To keep the salad crisp and fresh, you can follow these tips: use less salt, add the dressing only when you are ready to eat, and pat the salad ingredients dry before mixing them.
Refrigerate the chicken separately from the salad in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Allow the chicken to come to room temp or reheat it in the air fryer or microwave before serving. Add the dressing and parmesan when you are ready to serve. The salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. Let it come to room temperature before serving with the chicken.
Thanks for reading this recipe; comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Easy Crispy Chicken Salad
- 1 chicken fillet
- ¼ cup panko
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 romain heart lettuce chopped
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 jalapeño chopped
- ½-1 avocado sliced
- ¼ red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan
- Garlic herb dressing or any other dressing of your choice
- Mix panko, oil, salt, and paprika in a bowl. Whisk an egg in another bowl. Put flour in a third bowl.
- Place the chicken fillets between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a rolling pin or another blunt object until they are even in thickness. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and optional spices. Coat with flour, then egg, then panko.
- Air-fry chicken at 190C/380F for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, bake or fry it.
- Chop lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños and add to a bowl. Slice avocado and dice onion and add to the bowl.
- Slice cooked chicken and add to the salad. Sprinkle parmesan and dressing on top. Enjoy!