This easy crispy fried chicken without buttermilk recipe is definitely a winner. A simple three-ingredient corn flour coating transforms chicken into tasty golden treats perfect with a side of coleslaw.
About this Recipe
What's better than crispy fried chicken? I'll wait…..
This crispy chicken recipe is ready in no time. It is guaranteed to have all of your guests coming back for more! Enjoy this simple homestyle fried chicken recipe to make your own mouthwatering crispy chicken tonight.
How to Make Crispy Fried Chicken Without Buttermilk
We've all been there: you want to make fried chicken but you realize you don't have any buttermilk. This recipe is the perfect solution because all you need is cornflour!
That's right: This recipe is 100% egg-free and milk-free. This means you don't have to spend time dipping raw chicken pieces in eggs and flour, which can get messy fast. I think we can all agree that less mess and fewer ingredients are the makings of a great fried chicken recipe!
Corn Flour Vs. Wheat Flour
This crispy fried chicken recipe calls for corn flour instead of regular flour for coating the chicken. There are many reasons why I use this special kind of flour. Not only does it offer a unique, almost nutty, taste that's much better than wheat flour (in my opinion). Corn flour also fries the chicken differently.
Wheat flour is a decent breading for chicken, and it can be used in a lot of applications. However, corn flour ensures that your fried chicken is evenly crisp and golden brown. To chicken enthusiasts everywhere, that’s a clear winner!
Frying Chicken without Buttermilk
We're all eager to get our hands on as many mouthfuls of freshly fried chicken wings as we can manage. Trust me, I understand! But the key to getting a really flavourful fried chicken wing without buttermilk is to take your time coating and frying it.
Some people don’t wait for the chicken to marinate or fry long enough, which can ruin the taste. The chicken can burn if the oil is too hot. Or, you might just end up with bland chicken that's missing the signature crisp crust.
Make sure to take your time, and your corn flour fried chicken will come out perfectly!
Fried Chicken Recipe Without Buttermilk
I know the results look hard to achieve, but in truth, this is a quick three-step process to making delightfully crisp fried chicken at home, no eggs or buttermilk necessary.
Here's how to do it:
- First, season chicken thighs with plenty of salt and pepper. Let them marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to a bowl of cornflour and mix to combine well.
- After the chicken has marinated, coat the chicken in the cornflour mix on both sides and fry for 13-20, minutes until golden brown. Watch the chicken closely as it fries and turn it regularly for an even cook.
What to Serve With Crispy Fried Chicken
There are countless dishes that pair well with home-fried buttermilk-free chicken. I love to serve these thighs with:
How do you like to serve your family crispy fried chicken? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to try it!
How To Store Crispy Fried Chicken Without Buttermilk
Like most crispy things, these chicken thighs are best eaten hot after cooking. But you can refrigerate crispy chicken thighs for up to 2-3 days. To reheat, place the fried chicken on a baking sheet in a 350°F oven until hot.
If you're short for time, you can skip the marinating step. Season the thighs, coat them in cornflour and fry.
There are dozens more flavorful chicken dinner recipes where this came from. Highlights include:
- Per Peri Chicken and Tomato Bulgur
- Chicken and Mango Salsa Bowl
- How To Make a Juicy Chicken Burger
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets and Crispy Prawn Recipe
Crispy Fried Chicken Without Buttermilk
- 3- 5 chicken thighs
- ½ cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Sunflower/Vegetable oil - a splash
- Any other seasoning
- Season the chicken thighs to taste and leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste to the cornflour and mix well.
- Once the chicken has marinated coat the chicken in the cornflour mix and fry for 15-20 minutes until golden brown or done.