These Fudgy Chocolate Matcha Brownies will have you drooling! Matcha powder adds sweet, smooth and earthy flavors to the regular traditional brownies and gives them a mouth-watering, addictive, twist. Make these brownies in just 30 minutes and serve as a snack, dessert or sweet treat.
About this Recipe
Sweet, fudgy and delicious. These brownies are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. They are firm on the outside and moist and fudgy on the inside – Yum! This recipe came about because I have been going matcha crazy at the moment. I’ve been making everything from matcha smoothies to matcha iced lattes and now these matcha chocolate brownies. Matcha has a distinctively smooth, bitter-sweet and earthy taste which works well in baked goods, desserts and drinks especially.
So what exactly is matcha powder? Well, matcha is a Japanese green tea powder that is made by grinding dried tea leaves finely. It is green in color and is a popular traditional Japanese tea. Over the past few years, it has become popular overseas due to its health benefits.
Serve these delicious treats in no time at all. Prep for 10 minutes and bake for 20! Serve them as a snack or dessert.
Matcha Brownies Ingredients
- Matcha powder: It is important to use good quality matcha powder for this recipe as low-quality match will affect the taste of the brownies and make them bitter. It also gives these brownies their notorious green color.
- Plain flour:This is the base of the brownie batter. Do not opt for self-raising flour instead because baking powder and eggs are used as the leavening agents in this recipe.
- Cocoa powder: Use good quality cocoa powder for the best chocolatey flavors.
- Baking powder: Is added make the brownies rise when baking.
- Salt: Balances out the sweet flavors.
- White chocolate: Is melted and adds sweetness to the brownies.
- Eggs: Will help the brownies to rise.
- Almond extract (optional): For a slightly nutty flavor.
- Ground cinnamon (optional): For sweetness
- Brown sugar: To sweeten the brownies
- Coconut oil: Or melted unsalted butter can be used to make the brownie batter.
How to Make Fudgy Chocolate Matcha Brownies
- Start by preheating oven at 180C/360F. Then, add plain flour, matcha, cocoa powder, brown sugar, salt and baking powder to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
2. Next, add coconut oil and white chocolate to a separate bowl. Warm the coconut oil and chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals to melt the ingredients. Stir in between each interval. Eventually, you should get a smooth well-combined mixture. Once this is done, leave it to cool slightly.
Tip: It is important to preheat the oven when baking as the oven needs to be at the suggested temperature for the brownies to bake properly.
3. Crack two eggs open into a bowl and beat well.
3. Once the chocolate mixture is cool add the eggs, almond extract and mix until well combined.
4. Next, add the sifted dry ingredients to the beaten egg bowl and mix everything together.
5. Line a deep baking dish with baking paper. Then pour the brownie dough into the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Check if the brownie is done by sticking a skewer into the brownies. The brownies should still be moist for the fudgy effect.
Tip: Sift dry ingredients using a sieve to remove excess dirt and lumps.
6. Once the fudgy Chocolate Matcha Brownies are ready, leave to cool and serve as desired!
Tips and Tricks
- Matcha powder: The matcha powder used in this recipe must be high-quality. Avoid matcha that is cheap compared to others as it is usually bitter and sometimes dark green.
- Dry Ingredients: Pour all of the dry ingredients through a sieve to remove lumps and excess dirt. This will result in a smooth batter and even bake.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is considered as a healthier alternative to other oils making these a healthy matcha brownies. However, if you don’t have any to hand you can opt for melted unsalted butter instead and get the same results.
- Optional ingredients: Ground cinnamon is optional and be skipped if you don’t have any to hand or you don’t want that flavor. You can also swap almond extract for vanilla extract instead.
Matcha is a very versatile ingredient. It pairs well with dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate.
Yes, you can use matcha tea drinking powder for baking. Make sure it is good quality matcha for the best flavor.
Matcha adds a smooth, bitter-sweet, grassy and nutty flavor to desserts.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Stay connected and follow me for more recipes on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of my latest recipes!
Fudgy Chocolate Matcha Brownies
- Large Bowl
- 2 tbsp Matcha
- 150 g Plain flour
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 60 g White chocolate
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 1/3 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 100 g Brown sugar
- 70 g Coconut oil
- Preheat oven at 180C/360F. Combine plain flour, matcha, cocoa powder, brown sugar, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
- Next, melt the coconut oil and chocolate in the microwave. Warm at 30 seconds intervals and stir in between until the mixture is smooth. Then leave the mixture to cool slightly.
- Crack two eggs open into a bowl and beat well.
- Once the chocolate mixture is cool add the eggs, almond extract and beat the mixture until well combined.
- Next, add the sifted dry ingredients to the beaten egg bowl and mix everything together.
- Line a deep baking dish with baking paper. Then pour the brownie dough into the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Check if the brownie is done by sticking a skewer in the brownies. The brownies should still be moist for the fudgy effect.
- Once the brownies are done leave them to cool brownie, slice and serve.
Yum! These were so delicious and the perfect week day treat. I would have never thought to add matcha to brownies, but I’m so glad I did. The kids loved this recipe so we will definitely be making it again.
Made this for the fam. Tasted much better than I thought since I’m not a matcha fan!
This brownie recipe is truly outstanding! I LOVED the matcha and chocolate combination and the texture was so fudgy and soft. We loved this recipe so so much!
Matcha and chocolate are so perfect together, especially in these fudgy brownies! I love that I could make green brownies without using food coloring AND giving my brownies a little nutrient boost! I will definitely be making these again!
These brownies came out crackly on top and fudgy in the middle just like they’re supposed to be. The addition of matcha and almond extract took them to the next level. Loved them.
I love the matcha flavor in these brownies! Will be making them again.