Foil free moin moin recipe made with peeled beans – the perfect Nigerian side dish.
This is the perfect oven baked foil free moin moin recipe. This recipe is quicker than the traditional recipe and is filled with lots of delicious flavor!
Moin moin is a traditional Nigerian dish rich in protein. It is very healthy and can be served as breakfast or as a side.
Moin moin is served during special occasions (weddings, birthdays etc). Food is normally served buffet style during Nigerian events and it is very common for moin moin to finish first! This delicious dish is filled with flavor and is literally a beans lovers dream. However, not all moin moin is created equal. Moin moin can be very hit and miss when it is not prepared with care and attention. Oftentimes people don’t add enough salt or maggi which results in bland and tasteless moin moin. Make sure you taste your moin moin mix before you add it to the oven to avoid this.
What to Eat with Moin Moin?
Moin moin can be served with jollof rice, white rice and stew, garri, ogi and more.
Feel free to add different fillings e.g. corned beef and sardines. For a vegetarian/vegan option skip all of fillings!
How to Store Moin Moin
Moin Moin can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days (covered with cling film).
PRODUCTS USED TO MOIN MOIN:
Easy Foil Free Oven Baked Moin Moin
- 1 cup peeled beans (soak for 2-3 hours)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 small scotch bonnet (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 cup of water
- Salt to taste
- 1 cube maggi (optional)
- 90-100 ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs (hard boiled)
- 1 can of tuna or a small fillet of grilled mackerel
- Add peeled beans to a large bowl. Pour in enough water to cover the peeled beans and soak for 2-3 hours (add more water when necessary).
- Preheat oven at 190C, grease an ovenproof dish and set aside for later.
- Add peeled beans, red bell pepper, onion, scotch bonnet, tomato puree, half a cup of water, salt to taste and maggi to a blender and blend (you may need to do this in two batches). Add the remaining half of the water and blend.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Pour moin moin mixture and oil into the the greased dish and stir. Add egg slices and tuna/grilled mackerel pieces to the top of the moin moin (as shown) and bake for 45 minutes.
Looks delicious! Thank you for this cool info!
Thanks so much – this is quite straight forward