The best creamy potato salad packed with flavor! This salad includes baby potatoes, boiled eggs, parsley, red onions, mayo, vinegar, and more.
Potato salad, the ultimate summer side dish! It’s the perfect addition to outdoor BBQ’s. It is believed that the potato salad originated from Germany and spread to Europe and America. This is my take on the classic dish with eggs, bright onions and plenty of fresh herbs.
How To Make The Best Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
This 15-minute recipe is a winner. It’s so easy to whip up and always satisfies a crowd. Here’s how to do it yourself:
- First, wash and scrub the potatoes. Add the potatoes and enough cold water to cover the potatoes to a saucepan. Add a pinch of salt, bring the water to a boil, and cook on medium-low heat (you want the water to simmer but never boil) for 10-12 minutes. Test the potatoes with a fork to check that they’re soft all the way through. Drain out excess water and let the potatoes cool. You can cool them off faster by popping them in the fridge.
- When they’re cool enough to handle, slice each potato in half. Then mix with vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the sliced hard-boiled eggs, chopped red onion, a handful of fresh parsley, 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, salt to taste, pepper to taste. Finally, give everything a good mix and there you have it: the best creamy potato salad in under 20 minutes!
Perfect Hard-Cooked Eggs for Potato Salad
The first step in this creamy potato salad recipe is to make perfect hard-boiled eggs. It’s easy to do and a great trick to have up your sleeve, as an egg is always a satisfying snack.
To make the eggs, add 2 eggs to a saucepan of boiling water (make sure there is enough water to cover the eggs fully). Then lower the heat and cook for 8-9 minutes. Turn off the heat, drain and cool the eggs in cold water peel. When they’re cold enough to handle, peel them.
Can I Store Potato Salad in the Fridge?
This potato salad can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 days. It is best served at room temperature, so take it out of the fridge about an hour before service.
Ingredient Swaps and Substitutions
There are many different variations of potato salad. So feel free to add your favourite ingredients to make this dish your own. Some examples of ingredients you can add include:
- Fresh chives
- Spring onions
- Briny capers or olives
- Chopped celery for crunch
- Carrots for color
More Popular Side Dish Recipes
If you’re planning a menu for your next summer barbecue or party with friends, add these other light and refreshing vegetable side dishes to the list:
- Healthy Crunchy Coleslaw Recipe
- Easy Hasselback Potato Recipe
- Warm Asian Potato Salad with Sesame and Fresh Chile Dressing from Steamy Kitchen
The Best Cream Potato Salad
- 1 bag of baby potatoes
- 2 boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 a handful of parsley finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- Vinegar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Add eggs to a saucepan of boiling water (add enough water to cover the eggs). Then lower the heat and leave to cook for 8-9 minutes. Leave eggs to cool in cold water and peel.
- Wash the potatoes. Add potatoes and cold water to a saucepan (add enough water to cover the potatoes). Add a pinch of salt, bring the water to a boil, and cook on a low/medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Drain out excess water and leave to cool.
- Slice each potato in half, add vinegar and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Add eggs, onions, parsley, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and mix.