This delicious chicken and mango salsa bowl is perfect for the summer! Sweet, tangy, and creamy flavors paired with delicious Cajun chicken and brown rice mean that you simply can’t go wrong!
About This Recipe
This bowl is so satisfying. Not to mention that it takes less than 30 minutes to make. Mango salsas are a beautiful summery side to serve with chicken, salmon, and more. Because they’re so bright and festive, I especially love to serve this meal at outdoor barbecues with the family.
Nutrition of Mango Salsa with Chicken
This is quite a healthy recipe for serval reasons. First of all, chicken is lean meat that is very high in protein. In addition, mangoes are high in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Moreover, these fruits are also very good for the skin.
I make this mango and chicken bowl recipe with brown rice because it is rich in fiber. Ultimately, it’s a healthier alternative to white rice. In fact, all rice is brown to start with. In order to make white rice, the grains are highly processed. The milling process removes the husk, bran, and germ. As a result, white rice has a longer shelf life. But also, the rice loses most of its nutrients when it becomes white.
Substitutions to Make This Chicken and Mango Bowl Diet-Friendly
If you have weight loss goals, then you can easily make this a low-carb meal. To do so, swap the rice for greens. Spinach, kale, or other leafy green vegetables make an excellent and healthy base for this mango and chicken bowl. In fact, replacing the rice with a low-carb option turns this recipe into a delicious keto, paleo, and Whole30 option.
How to Store Chicken and Mango Brown Rice Bowls
I love making a big batch of this chicken and mango bowl recipe because it’s perfect for meal prep. It’s healthy and balanced between carbs, protein, and veggies. I find that it’s the perfect light lunch because it’s filling, without weighing me down in the afternoon.
To store this recipe to keep it fresh as long as possible, keep the mango salsa separate from the rest of the ingredients. Store the salsa and the chicken separately in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Thanks for reading this recipe, comment below if you made this and let me know how it went! Follow @simshomekitchen on Instagram, take a photo, tag and hashtag it with @simshomekitchen.
Chicken Mango Salsa Bowl
- 1 chicken fillet
- 1 mango (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 spring onion (chopped diagonally)
- 1 avocado (diced)
- A pinch of Cajun seasoning
- A pinch of garlic seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- 3-4 tbsp of precooked brown rice
- A splash of sunflower oil
- Peel avocado and mango then remove the seed. Dice avocado, mango, red bell peppers, chop spring onions and add to a medium sized bowl. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice to taste. Set aside
- Cover chicken fillet with a plastic wrap and pound it with a blunt object. Grab a medium sized bowl add chicken fillet, a few drops of sunflower oil, Cajun seasoning, garlic seasoning, salt, paprika and rub the ingredients into the fillet.
- Heat a splash of oil in a pan and cook the fillet on both sides on a medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken has cooled slice the chicken horizontally and plate up!